Homemade gnocchi that is healthy and filling without being loaded with stodgy carbs. (to save time make the dough the night before just leave it in a bowl on your kitchen work top ready for you to roll the next day with cling film over the top).
Gnocchi are various thick, soft dough dumplings that may be made from semolina, ordinary wheat flour, egg, cheese, potato,breadcrumbs, or similar ingredients. Gnocchi are eaten as a first course, as an alternative to soups or pasta. They are generally home-made in Italian and diaspora Italian households.” – Wiki.
• 600g sweet potato
• 225g rice flour
• 2 tbsp ground flax seed
• 5 tbsp water
• ½ tsp chilli powder
• 1/8 grated nutmeg
• Pinch salt
• 40g sage
• A handful of mixed salad leaves
• ¼ of cucumber
• 180g baby tomatoes
• Salt to taste
• Balsamic vinegar
1. To make the gnocchi pre-heat the oven to 175°C. Peal the sweet potato, chop and wash in cold water. Put onto a baking tray and rub in 1 tbsp of coconut oil and put into the oven for 30 minutes or until soft. Keep an eye out so it does not over cook.
2. Leave to cool. If you can leave it for 1-2 hours it will help with the consistency when you come to make it. Once cool, place in a blender and puree until smooth.
3. Soak the ground flax seed in the 5 tbsp water and leave for 15 minutes.
4. Next, add the flax seed paste, chilli, nutmeg, salt, sage and rice flour to the sweet potato puree and mix together. Until it forms a dough like texture.
5. Add a little rice flour onto a surface and take a small amount of the dough at a time to roll out into a long sausage then cut into 1 inch chunks.
6. Bring a pan of water to a rolling boil. Drop the gnocchi into it and make sure they don’t stick together by swirling the water with a spoon. Leave for 2 minutes.
7. Put a frying pan on a medium heat and add 1tsp of coconut oil to the pan. Wash and prepare the salad ready to put on a plate.
8. Once the gnocchi is ready strain out and immediately tip into the frying pan. Add a small handful of cherry tomatoes, leave to cook for about 30 seconds stirring.
9. Serve with the side salad and add the salt with balsamic vinegar onto the salad.
Check out more of Michelle’s posts here!
A mother of two who believes and practices honest parenting, sharing her journey, including raising an autistic child.