So how do you get your children or yourself for that matter a sweet little bite to eat that’s not laden with sugar or consists of a truck load of E numbers???
After doing the food shop the other day and feeling a little peckish or consists of a truck load of E numbers??? After doing the food shop the other day and feeling a little peckish I stayed strong. Instead of buying a trolley full of sugary sweets, I quickly grabbed the nearest thing which was a bar. It tasted like banana bread but was made solely from dates & nuts. Intrigued I set to work thinking how could I create something just as tasty that wouldn’t cost a lot if me and the kids wanted to enjoy more than the one (cause these things can be Moorish) After a bit of experimenting in the kitchen these seeded raspberry bars were made and eaten rather quickly!!
Give them a go. Tip: if you crumble a slice over a few scoops of Greek yogurt this will make for a very simple yet tasty breakfast.
Pumpkin seeds are known for their energy properties. The light and nutty seeds contain iron, a mineral that helps maintain high energy levels. Sesame seeds are great because they contain linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid that may help control harmful cholesterol. Giving us healthy hearts and toasting them just amplifies the flavour. Almonds are the king of nuts. They contain lots of healthy fats, fibre, protein, magnesium and vitamin E. – Nutrition & You
Super Seed Raspberry Bar Ingredients
- 360g Gluten free oats
- 48g Wholegrain puffed rice
- 7 fl oz Agave syrup
- 57g Pumpkin seeds
- 57g Sesame seeds
- 57g almonds (roughly or finely chopped)
- 90g Freeze dried raspberries
- 1tsp Almond extract
- 340g Almond butter
- Line a 8x8 baking tray with greaseproof paper
- In a small pan on a med heat, gently stir the almond butter and agave syrup until it has all combined and mixed well then remove from the heat.
- In a frying pan lightly toast the oats, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and chopped almonds for 1 minute on a med heat with the almond extract then remove from the heat and set it aside.
- Get a large mixing bowl. Add the oats, wholegrain puffed rice, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, chopped almonds and freeze dried raspberries. Carefully and pour the agave and almond butter mixture over the ingredients. Keep stirring it until it has completely combined.
- Using a spatula, start to pop the bar mixture into the lined tray. As you add the mixture to the tray be sure to press it down firmly so that it all combines and sets together
- Pop the tray into the refrigerator or freezer for 15/20 minutes to chill down and set.
- Once the bar mixture feels cool, firm and has set, remove it from the refrigerator or freezer and slice it all up into bars.
- Grab a plate with a few slices and enjoy!
- Store the remaining slices in an airtight container somewhere cool and dry.
A mother of two who believes and practices honest parenting, sharing her journey, including raising an autistic child.