I’m on a mission to get my family eating more healthy meals and snacks, with the occasional treat. I love eating fresh, healthy meals and feel that I should be fuelling mine & my families bodies with foods that will nourish us… it’s that simple.
This is a weekday meal that was really simple yet tasted delicious and as Sweet potato chips (or sweet potato fries) seem to be more fashionable on restaurant menus, I incorporated them within this recipe!
“The sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is a dicotyledonous plant that belongs to the family Convolvulaceae. Its large, starchy, sweet-tasting, tuberous roots are a root vegetable. The young leaves and shoots are sometimes eaten as greens. Ipomoea batatas is native to the tropical regions in America.” – Wiki
Ingredients For the Houmous:
- 1 Red Pepper
- 400g Chickpeas
- 1 ½ Fresh Lemons
- 9 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 4 tbsp Water
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1tsp ground Cumin
- 2tsp Tahini
- Salt to taste (makes 1 bowl)
For the Sweet Potato Chips:
- 1 Med sized Sweet Potato (depending on how many families member you are cooking for do 1 sweet potato for each. A great tip to save time is prep veg at the beginning of the week for evening meals then just freeze them)
- Virgin Coconut Oil
For the Greens:
- Handful of Kale (do one handful for each person)
- Savoy Cabbage (one leaf for each person should be enough as they are quite big)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 deg.
- Peel, wash and cut the sweet potato. Place onto a baking tray and rub the virgin coconut oil all over it. Place into the oven for 30 minutes
- Wash, deseed and slice the red pepper in half. Put it on a baking tray and cook for 15 minutes
- Squeeze the lemons and put the juice into the blender. Add the chickpeas, basil, water, olive oil, cumin and tahini then set it aside.
- Wash the Kale and Savoy cabbage. These can be steamed for 15 minutes or alternatively boil on a med heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the pepper has been cooked set it aside to cool. When it’s cooled add it to the blender and mix well, add a little more water if needed. Once you are happy with the consistency add some salt to taste.
- Serve the Sweet Potato chips, Greens & Houmous. If you have any houmous left over store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Check out more of Michelle’s posts here!
A mother of two who believes and practices honest parenting, sharing her journey, including raising an autistic child.