For those of you that know me you know I’m quite a keen baker…. However because I’m becoming more conscious of what foods we are eating as a family and how we can encourage our wee ones to make healthy choices I decided to make a banana bread with a difference…
“Typically, the cakes used in coconut cake are either white or yellow cakes. While some recipes do not call for coconut flavour in the cake itself, there are others that replace the milk with coconut milk and/or use coconut extract. Banana bread is a type of cake made with mashed bananas, and typically cooked a loaf shape. It is often moist, sweet, and can be described as a quick bread. There are however, some recipes that are closer to traditional-style rye breads.” – Wiki
- 2 large eggs
- 100g coconut flour
- 100g coconut palm sugar
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
Instructions GLUTEN FREE banana and coconut cake
Pre-heat oven to 170 deg.
- Blend the sugar and coconut oil until its well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and blend for 1-2 minutes for each.
- Add the banana and blend until it’s mixed in well.
- Put the coconut flour into the mixture and blend (if the cake mix is a little loose add a touch more flour then blend. Add the baking powder and fold it in with a wooden spoon)
- Put the mixture into a 6” non stick cake tin and cook for 35-40 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is up, check to see if the sponge springs back when you press it with your finger. If it does, do the knife test and if it comes out clean then take it out. If it needs more time just give it 5 minutes.
- Leave it to cool down in the cake tin for 10 minutes before putting it onto a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
- Once it’s cool, cut a slice and enjoy.
Check out more of Michelle’s posts here!
A mother of two who believes and practices honest parenting, sharing her journey, including raising an autistic child.