I love that being healthier really does make you think about how you look after and fuel your body.
This is what inspires me to make healthy sweet treats so I don’t feel like we are missing out. I am hoping that you’ll love my experiment of completely turning the chocolate chip cookie on its head by creating its healthy cousin. The kids loved them & they were all demolished before bedtime. Have a go at making our Chocolate, Fudge & Orange Cookie recipe and tell us what you think.
A chocolate chip cookie is a drop cookie that originated in the United States and features chocolate chips as its distinguishing ingredient. The traditional recipe combines a dough composed of butter and both brown and white sugar with semi-sweet chocolate chips. Variations include recipes with other types of chocolate as well as additional ingredients such as nuts or oatmeal– wiki
- 150g brown rice flour
- 110g soya butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 orange (you’ll need all the zest)
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- ¼ baking soda
- ¼ xanthan gum
- 85g gluten free dark chocolate
- 200g gluten free fudge
- Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine the soya butter and agave syrup until it is mixed well.
- Add the flour, orange blossom water and ¾ of the orange zest. Mix it well, then add the egg and continue to mix it.
- Take 9 squares of the chocolate bar and set them aside. With the remaining chocolate, roughly chop it up and then add it to the cookie mixture and mix it in.
- Roughly chop all of your fudge. Add the baking soda and xanthan gum to the cookie mixture first and stir it a little. Then add all of your fudge making sure it’s fully mixed into your cookie dough.
- Now you’re ready to start rolling your cookie dough into small balls. When you have rolled them all, place them onto a lined baking tray. Before you place them into the oven gently press down on them with the back of a spoon.
- Place them in the oven and cook them for 15-20 minutes or until they are brown
- Once they are cooked. Place them on a wire rack to cool down. Whilst they are cooling down, put the remaining chocolate into a mixing bowl and gradually melt it over a pan of hot water.
- Once the chocolate is fully melted, using a small spatula coat half of your cookies on one side then set it back onto the wire rack and garnish with some orange zest.
- When all your cookies have been decorated, pop them on a plate. And enjoy them with a cup of tea.